Flashback to the 2001 American Music Awards. Britney Spears and current beau, Justin Timberlake, presented us with one of the most iconic and unforgettable looks of the decade: Denim on denim. Their coordinated look left us speechless then, and still leaves us speechless now. Luckily, over the past fifteen years designers and fashionistas of all kinds have reformed and developed styles that incorporate denim in more a modern and polished way. This season, denim on denim is making a big come back in a variety of new and unique ways that you'll love to wear all season long.
Although it was once seen as a fashion crime to pair the same texture together, the key to modernizing a laid back denim on denim look is by mixing and matching different textures, colors, and silhouttes. Try experimenting with different washes and fashionable pieces between tops, dresses, cutoff shorts, and jeans. Simply pair a light wash denim top with a pair of dark wash jeans to achieve a modern day, casual denim on denim look.
Another piece of denim that's making an unexpected comeback is the jean skirt. We all thought we ditched this trend for good back in the late 2000s, but it's been revamped and renewed, and has been spotted on a variety of trendsetters from style blogger Sincerely Jules to celebrities like Alexa Chung and Jessica Alba. The denim skirts we are seeing today reflect a more flattering 1970s appeal with A-Line silhouttes, button details, and figure flattering desings.
It’s clear that designers and trendsetters alike have learned a thing or two since the beginning of the millennium. Double denim has evolved from a red carpet look that we hoped to never see again, to a chic and fashion forward look that's easy to wear. As we prepare for the summer ahead and stock up on wardrobe staple pieces, it’s obvious that denim canno't be overlooked. Although Britney and Justin have gone their separate ways, it’s fair to say that denim is here to stay.
Check out the 5 must have denim trends for your 2016 spring/summer wardrobe below:
Source: Sincerely Jules
1. Indigo Denim Button Down Shirt Athalia's Boutique, 2. Dark Wash Tencel Denim Top Athalia's Boutique, 3. Tied Up Chambray Top Cotton and Copper Boutique, 4. Blank NYC Cold Shoulder Next in Line Top Guys N Gals
Source: Star Style
1. OneTeaspoon Blue Jack Bandits Denim Shorts Guys N Gals, 2. Distressed to Impress Denim Shorts Cotton and Copper Boutique, 3. Blank NYC Wedge Denim Short Guys N Gals, 4. OneTeaspoon St. Valentine Bonita Denim Shorts Guys N Gals
Source: Happily Grey
1. Laju Ombre Sleeveless Button Down Dress Athalia's Boutique, 2. Blank NYC Denim Dress Guys N Gals
Source: The Zoe Report
1. Mother Denim Insider Crop Step Fray Guys N Gals, 2. 3 x 1 Straight Crop Lima Fringe Jean Zieben Mare
Source: The Fashion Fruit
1. Mother Denim High Waisted Midi Skirt Guys N Gals, 2. GUESS Flared Lace-up Denim Skirt Styleshack Featured Products
What denim piece are you looking forward to adding to your wardrobe this season? Tell us at email@example.com
SHOP MORE DENIM HERE